Authentication is a way of securing your devices to prevent unauthorized access to your phone or accounts. This is important because, it helps to prevent unknown users from hijacking your device whether it is a cell phone, computer, smart watch, online accounts such as iCloud, iTunes and what have you.
On iPhones, the mechanism to help you get extra security for your accounts is known as Two-Factor Authentication (2FA). Two-factor Authentication allows users to add an extra device(phone number of another device) which will be used to perform the process regaining control of your phone when necessary.
With 2FA enabled, you get notified on the other phone number anytime there is a login attempt on your iCloud or iPhone accounts. To access your account you’d normally use your Apple ID username and password, but the inclusion of 2FA will require you to have an additional unique piece of randomly generated code anytime you or someone tries to login to your Apple account.
This is the extra layer of defense added to your device when you enable the two-factor authentication. This post will guide you through how to get your iPhone’s two-factor authentication enabled. To enable two-factor authentication on your iPhone,
- Go to the Settings menu on your iPhone.
- Tap on your name at the topmost area of the settings menu options
- Tap on Password & Security
How to enable two factor authentication on iPhone (steps 1 to 3)
- Tap on Edit under the TRUSTED PHONE NUMBER
- Tap on Add a trusted phone number
- Next, enter your iPhone passcode
- Enter the trusted device’s phone number and select whether you want to verify via text or phone call. Tap Send.
- Enter the numeric verification code that will be sent to the trusted device’s phone number.
Make sure you have access to the internet before starting the procedure otherwise the process will fail and you won’t be able to go through all the steps mentioned above. This brings us to the end of today’s guide on how to enable two-factor authentication on your iPhone.
Please share this post if you find it insightful.